This is a relatively short post as there is a lot of information floating around all over social media but I did want to write something, as many of you, including myself will be facing possible race cancellations/deferment or postponement.
It a very normal reaction that you be disappointed and pi$$ed off BUT this is a situation that is out of your control.
Without rambling on and on, I will get straight to the point and simply share my views:-
- Reset your mindset!
- This virus is BIGGER than you and your goals
- Acknowledge your emotions and then move on
- You have no control on races being shut down, postponed, or deferred, so please don’t waste your precious time and energy that you will never get back, worrying about it.
- Continue to train, within the means that allows based on government restrictions
- If you have a turbo trainer, I suggest that you really begin to get familiar with your trainer.
- Look into Zwift or any of the other online gaming tools that allow for racing, group rides, challenges etc, if you are not on it already
- Become familiar with all the amazing YouTube videos on home fitness. You will be amazed at how much you can do at home using platforms like Youtube etc
- You will need to reassess your race/goal. That is all you can do, because the choice has been removed from you.
- Set some new goals that are permissible whilst we are in a state of limbo. For example, one of my goals will be to reach Level 50 on Zwift. Up my running, as I believe I will still be able to get outside for a run in the countryside
- Read some books that you have been wanting to read for ages and the list goes on but you get the idea
Listen to what you have been instructed to do. Self isolate if required. Use hand santiser, wash your hands, cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze using a tissue etc. Be a responsible human being and do your part in not contributing to the issue.
Remember, at the end of the day, we are all in the same boat.
Solidarity is key!
Agree 100%! Virtual races/challenges are the way to go for 2020!